Friday, June 8, 2012

Shameless plug for Bountiful Baskets

I love fresh fruits and veggies. Unfortunately we're always on a budget and the cheapest food is the unhealthy stuff. Finding a balance between budget and nutrition is a constant battle. (my other battle is finding time and good recipes to cook healthy food, but we'll probably talk about that in the future.)
My sister Emily introduced me to the Community Food Co Op of Utah. I ordered from them once a month  for about 2 years and loved the fresh vegetables, meats, bread, and many other great products. I love that they support local ranchers and farmers. Sadly, this Co Op went under and was bought out by someone else and now I don't really like them.
Now we're here in Montana and I joined Bountiful Baskets. I knew lots of people who ordered through them in Utah, but I had a Co Op there and didn't ever get around to looking into any others. My friends here are in charge of the site so I tried it out. I love my basket! For $15 here's what I got:
1 Pineapple, 1 pound of Grape Tomatoes, 1 pound Strawberries, 1 Cantaloupe, 8 Bananas, 9 Nectarines, 8 Oranges, 3 Avocados, 3 heads of Broccoli, and 2 Heads of Lettuce.

It's not a totally complete picture, Joe and I ate the strawberries in a milkshake and I ate the cantaloupe for breakfast.
I do miss the fresh meats and grains I can't get through them but I think I am really going to enjoy this program. Along with my new home made yogurt I'll have an easier time with my balance of budget and nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment